2017 Year of the Rooster - Lunar New Year
The 4th annual Howell Lunar New Year Festival returns to downtown Howell Saturday, February 4, 2017! This fun, family-oriented event highlights our downtown community while offering an educational twist with exciting entertainment events at the Howell Opera House. Plus, whether you are a serious or recreational runner, the popular Howell Dragon Run gives Howell residents and visitors a chance to get healthy and have fun with the 5K Run or Walk!
The Howell Lunar New Year Festival is coordinated by the Howell Main Street Inc. in cooperation with the Richard Lim Photography, the Howell Carnegie Library, and Howell Public Schools.
Howell Dragon Run:
The Dragon Run 5K Run/Walk, generously sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network returns to the grounds of Howell Public Schools Saturday, February 4, 2017.
- 5K Run/Walk: Be one of the first to register for this fun winter 5K race that covers the Howell Public School Grounds. The race steps off at 10:00 a.m. at Challenger Elementary, with prizes being awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each age category. A special traveling Dragon Trophy will be unveiled and awarded to the overall race winner
- Race registration: $25 prior to January 31, $30 beginning February 1, 2017. Official race t-shirts are guaranteed if registered prior to January 30th. Register online at: https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Howell/HowellDragonRun
Lunar New Year Festival Entertainment:
All Lunar New Year Festival family-friendly entertainment will take place at the Howell Opera House, 123 W. Grand River Ave., downtown Howell unless otherwise indicated.
Unless otherwise indicated, entertainment activities are FREE and open to the public!
Timeline of Activities: (At the Howell Opera House)
- 12:30 p.m. - Blessing of the Businesses/Lion Dance :: Don't miss this unique Chinese cultural dance where performers mimic a lion's movements in a lion costume! The Dance takes place outside of the Howell Opera House.
- 1:45-2:30 p.m. - Kids Interactive Cooking Lesson :: Join Food Network Chef Tom Lin for an interactive cooking demo that is just for the kids!
- 3:00-4:00p.m - Crafts & Take Home Activities:: Interactive Lunar New Year crafts and hands-on activities for kids of all ages provided by the Howell Carnegie District Library and MSU Asian Studies Program.
- 4:00-4:30 p.m. - Godaiko drummers Demonstration :: Come enjoy the traditional Asian drummer beats of The Godaiko Drummers from Great Lakes Taiko Center in Novi
- 6:30 p.m.: Lunar New Year 6 course Dinner
New: Chopped Cooking Competition
To purchase tickets, click on the logo below! Tickets are $30 in advance or two for $60. If seating is still available, tickets will be $35 per person, or $60 per couple at the door the evening of the event. Your tickets will be available for pick-up at the door, or you can stop by the Howell Main Street Inc. Office, located at 118 W. Clinton St.
This event is SOLD OUT!
Attention Ticket Holders: You can pre-bid on a chance to be a judge of the celebrity "Chopped" cooking competition! That means you could win the opportunity to taste test these chef's delicious dishes! Bid now at: https://t.co/J3wfHr3Qlb
Chefs include: Simply Fresh Market's Chef Blue, Steven Bearden, and Cleary University's Chef Bane. Trust us, you will not want to miss out on a bite of their Asian infused appetizers, entrees, and dessert/beverages.
Thank you to the staff and volunteers at the Howell Carnegie District Library for offering these FREE family friendly events in celebration of the Asian Lunar New Year!
The Howell Lunar New Year Festival is generously sponsored by:
Dragon Run Sponsor
Livingston Daily Press & Argus
If you would like to sponsor the Howell Lunar New Year Festival contact:
Howell Main Street Inc. C.O.O./DDA Director